Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Que Vivan los Chimayosos!


I was put off a little yesterday because I've been so busy, and I was called last minute to do an English presentation on my Wednesday afternoon, which is usually my only free time for the week...I had planned on using it to sort a Christmas plane ticket. But instead I went to the Tokamachi Community Center to meet a group of Seniors who occasionally get together to work on their English. For all the grumbling I did about it ahead of time, it turned out to be a really good thing to do and I definitely made their day...I really enjoyed it.

The thing I really liked about it is I got a chance to blab on about New Mexico for 90 minutes to an interested audience. Because of the way the curriculum is and the textbook-centric way my schools are, I never really get a chance to speak much about the culture and life of where I come from. But today I dug out some old New Mexico realia that I had forgotten about, like New Mexico magazines, books of arts and crafts, etc. and I explained every bit of detail about my beloved home state that not many people in Japan will ever know about. For example, I explained to them how adobe architecture works, how a yucca is different from a cactus, what a kachina doll is, the difference between red and green chile, the Tewa translation of Chimayo, why we burn (and then swear at) big angry puppets, and why we airbrush Jesus Christ on our lowriders.

It was nice to open their eyes to how diverse some areas of America are...that not everyone in America is white or black, but the majority of the people I know back home are either Hispanic or Native American and I grew up as the minority. The three cultures living together is such a contrast to the one-ness that is Japan.

So overall it was great. We finished by having some snacks around the table and just having the same general conversation as usual about what food I like/hate, how the earthquake was, etc., but it was a nice break from the daily grind of "How are you?...no, no, not Hawaii...how are YOU? YOU!!!" Junior High English class.

11 Comments:

At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo!! Hoo!! NEW MEXICO!!!! Best state out there by far - sorry, but it's true.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Erik said...

funny you wrote that kat, i just ate a burrito from 7 11. perhaps someday i will make you the real deal though.

anna. ditto.

by the way kat, was researching fares for thailand, holy lord it's expensive!

 
At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude ive lived 15 mins away from you for 18 months and not once have you even offered to make me mexican food.......!! whats the deal?????!

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Erik said...

you git, i made you tacos!

 
At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

eric, i know who you are! i read your blog everyday! i always get the names luke and eric mixed up, ever since i was a kid! honest!

 
At 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

eric! eric! please forgive me!!!!

 
At 2:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, You talk about chimayo enough, so when are you going to come and visit? I haven't seen you in like a year, you probably don't even know what green chile tastes like, and tamales do you even remember those? who am i gonna jump the bonfire with? you better come home for christmas or else. If you come i PROMISE to come visit in japan in '06.

 
At 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, Ely, in fairness to all of us New Mexicans who are abroad could you not mention green chile? I am in serious withdraw hereā€¦like being off dugs without a methadone clinic. I misses the chile verde, man, damn.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Erik said...

damnit Ely!

dude email me your phone number. and stop talking about chile.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger kittykat said...

no no no!1

youre NOT going home this xmas!
NOOOO!!!

The chile has to wait, im sorry ,but you can have plenty of that in thailand, and yes i know it isnt the same but you can have all that to your heart's content when u go home in the future....thailand however, with some v cool ppl wont happen all the time.

BUY BUY BUY
ticket that is

NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW

:-)

sorry friend from home, send him a chile or something.

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Erik said...

i feel so 'in demand'. kewl.

kat, I put a ticket on hold. but it's only till 12/31.

ely, i'll give you a call soon my main buddy dude man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home