Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Tokamachi Bumpkins

Before I came to this rural area of Japan, it was described to me as the "Kentucky of Japan", likening it to a backwoods, country bumpkin area of America. Now, trying not to stereotype Appalachia or Niigata country folk, I put that idea in the back of my head. But yesterday, it resurfaced...

I went to my super small, super backwoods mountain school with 11 students (Nonaka elementary, the one with the tiny blue smurf-like principal). After my awesome class, I was shooting the breeze with the crazy toothless office lady and the smurf man. The topic of strange Japanese foods came up and I told them that I had eaten some strange stuff lately, including raw horse. As usual per any conversation with a Japanese person, I also had to divulge what Japanese food repulses me. "Natto and uni!" I said (Natto is dung-smelling rotten fermented soy bean poison, and uni is raw sea urchin).

"How about tanuki?" they asked. Tanuki? People eat those? I had to do a double take. "You mean those rat-like raccoon dogs that run around the woods at night?" I asked (they are essentially the weird forest vermin of Japan).

"Yup! Some people eat those around here!" they confirmed. It was the first time I had heard about it, and I found out that it seems to only be people in this backcountry area of Niigata that do it. "Only Tokamachi people eat them, the mountain people like us!" I realized that it's exactly like the legend that backcountry folk in Kentucky and West Virginia hunt and grill squirrels.

"Yah, we hunt them and then grill them!" said the toothless old office lady, making a shooting gesture. She slapped me on the back and said "Let's have a barbecue someday!"

Itadakimasu.

5 Comments:

At 12:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

for the love of all that's holy! people eat tanuki? tanuki are real? forgive me for being so ignorant, but what would that do to one's testicles? would they grow to amazing sizes? maybe you should do a little onsen recon before committing.

 
At 1:27 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

Thanks for making me laugh again Erik! Raw horse eh? I am impressed by your adventurous eating. Sometimes I read your blog and find myself thinking about ways I could go to Japan and avoid offending people by only eating safe things like tuna and salmon sushi.

As for the Japanese-equivalent-of-squirrel bbq. Enjoy!

 
At 1:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought that tanuki were make believe too. Funny that you mention them, I just finished reading Villa Incognito by Tom Robbins and one of the characters is a giant testicled taniki

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger Erik said...

yah i see them all the time outside my apartment. they are real but i don't think i'll eat them anytime soon. ha ha. hey ely! hey is your number your old 770 cell phone number? hey jodi! good luck with DC, poop on the president for me. hey aubrey! i've been addicted to tokyo since our trip.

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, that's shitty. just so you know, your potential friends in kentucky are PISSED.

erin & mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home