Monday, November 07, 2005

missing student

I had a good weekend in Tokyo cuz my friend from college, Aubrey, was in town. I went in Saturday and came back last night. I'll put up a post with some cool pictures soon...

...but for now the thing on my mind is a little 8 year old boy who has gone missing in my town. He is a student at one of my schools (Kawaji Elementary) and he has been missing for 5 days. He is autistic and can't communicate. He disappeared Wednesday night I think, and immediately word spread through my schools. I have seen flyers all over with his picture on it, and other than that I haven't seen much in the news...I wish Japan had some sort of Amber Alert system like we do back home, but I know people are looking for him...(I hope). I offered help to my school but they weren't sure what to do with me. Apparently he has disappeared once before (decided to walk to Nakasato) but they are a little more worried this time because it's already been 5 full days and it's pretty cold out now, and he also is known to like water and was seen last not too far from the river. I hate situations like this for the obvious reason that you're worried about the kid, but also because all you can think about is what sort of bad thing has happened due to the circumstances and the nature of his disability, and feeling a little helpless. But I do think people are looking for him, Yuko's parents work in city hall and they are working overtime to coordinate the search for him I guess, and volunteers are going door to door with his picture. So all we can do is hope that everything will work out and that he'll show up safe and be home soon.

5 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah that sucks eric. i hope they find him and he is ok. i'll say a prayer for him and his family:-(

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh i thought he was one of nates kids, everyone was telling me he was from somewhere out Kawanishi way and nate said it was his school.... there arent two kids missing are there??? i saw the poster up in town yesterday, fucking sketch... fingers crossed a?

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Erik said...

no he lives out in Yoshida where one of Nate's schools is, but he goes to Kawaji Shogakko which is one of mine. Anyway that's not important obviously, no it's one kid, but they have a couple different pictures of him around.

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

as in yoshida,west niigata, on same train line as uchino?if so really close to tom's.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Erik said...

hey kel, no Yoshida is a district of Tokamachi. It's like I say I live in Nakajo (a district of Tokamachi) and people are like 'wow, you live really far from Tokamachi!'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home