Thursday, July 14, 2005

why why why

Today I realized that my apartment is riceless. Being out of rice in Japan is just unacceptable...somewhat similar to being out of potatoes in Russia or out of chile back home. So I rushed over to Jusco (big supermarket) on the way home. I walked in and started looking around, and suddenly became very dizzy and everything felt surreal. I didn't really realize what had happened, but the entire Jusco has been rearranged since last week. I'm not just talking about switching the towel shelf with the toilet paper, i'm talking about the entire row of check out counters was moved hundreds of feet and is now vertical, the beer is on the other side, everything is smooshed together or moved to an entirely different location or just moved across the aisle, and some of the stock has changed. There was complete chaos as a million workers were rushing here and there trying to get everything stocked and sorted. I tripped on a few boxes and bumped a few people.

It took me 11 months to figure out that freaking store and now they've completely turned my happy Jusco bubble upside-down. I couldn't find the rice. I mean, I couldn't even find the rice in Japan. I found myself wandering around with a headache for about 10 minutes until I stumbled upon it. I started just putting other random things in my basket and my focus was gone. I said "why why why?" and swore to myself a lot. I ran away as fast as I could.

It's strange how one small change here that affects the consistency you've been able to achieve over time really messes with your head. I have to re-learn the entire store. If I could read labels it would make a difference, but because so much of my shopping was memorizing the exact location of certain things that someone showed to me once, instead of just looking for it and finding it, I have to fully re-map my way to the pizza chips.

Funny thing was, they moved the bleach and I asked an employee where to find it...and he couldn't find it either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home