Tuesday, July 05, 2005

I like chip star

Right now I'm enjoying some sweet, sweet Chip Star (Japan's Pringles) with real American Gatorade. GAHHHHHHHHH...

I'm a little grumpy today because my Tuesday school worked me too hard. After four straight periods of chaotic speaking tests and grading, I was told - not asked - to eat lunch fast, do speaking tests during my lunch break (my only time off to breathe during the day) and then stay late tonight to finish the rest. Because of who I am I agreed, but I only wish they had asked...If I wanted to I could pull out my contract and point at things and get picky but I'm more patient than that I guess, until they do it again. It wasn't the first time.

Last night was awesome...I helped put together a little 4th of July party for the 4 Americans and 2 Brits in town. I nominated Amy to host, Nate to grill and myself to blow things up. We had a decent American-style barbecue with real American barbecue sauce...and we fought through the rain of the rainy season to light some wee wee fireworks. The brits kinda enjoyed it I think and it was fun to introduce them to a real barbecue, the way it oughtta be.

My first step in the long and arduous process of obtaining a Japanese driver's license has already taken a foreboding step...I sent Katie D. off to Niigata with my New Mexico driver's license to get it translated along with my Gaijin card (like my green card I guess). Got an email from her later saying that she accidentally left them in the post office and wasn't sure about where they were. AAAH! Next morning I got a call from a very concerned post office and my freaked-out supervisor, as these are my most important pieces of ID aside from my passport. Well, they are still in Muikamachi in some post office and I've been ID-less for 5 days now, but apparently they have it and Kumi is going to pick them up today...in time for me to take the trip with them to Niigata City to start filling out the tedious paperwork on Friday. And this is all the beginning...I will have to take driving courses and a driving test all in Japanese over the next 3 weeks before my International Drivers License expires. It won't be easy.

Otherwise I have been sitting on my couch, staring and drooling at my brand new air conditioner, which was installed Saturday morning! I just went to the store and bought 3 bottles of nice local sake for the Board of Ed, not only to say thanks but to try to guilt them into not making me pay for the installation. I'll meet with them tomorrow.

Tonight, I'm meeting Yuko for English lessons and then off to Fight Club (aka Ladies Night. Yes, I go to Ladies Night with my friends. So does Martin. It's actually usually half guys.)

1 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Blogger Erik said...

my name's debbie and i like chip star.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home