Thursday, June 02, 2005

Dude, listen to me!

Yesterday I was invited to a high school for the first time to help evaluate Annie's school in Matsudai and her teacher's English classes. It was pretty grammar heavy stuff, but high level. It was not interesting or fun for the students.

Afterwards we had a discussion session where he asked us, "Please be honest! I want your opinions of my teaching. I want to become a good English teacher. I want my students to be good English speakers."

Other than Annie I was the only foreigner there, and about 10 other English teachers were invited. None of them said anything...being Japanese, they are not taught how to give constructive criticism, or criticism at all really. SO, I overtook the session and told him a few things about how I felt about his classes. "OK, There was no variation between grammar and speaking activities. There were no visuals. How does this relate to giving confidence to speaking when it was all grammatical and on paper? Why wasn't Annie used to speak with the students? Why don't you start the class with English greetings? I think that it's important to tie your lesson into something where they can apply this grammar in a conversation. You should have more natural conversation as a warm-up activity."...and on and on.

Well, I got frustrated because he got a little defensive. "Well, that's just how I do it. Well, that's the way the class is" and so on. Then he said he was sort of "showing off" by doing so much grammar in his class, because he knew he was being evaluated by a lot of teachers (mostly Japanese teachers, who are grammar experts). I wasn't too impressed, and he wasn't exactly embracing the criticism like he told us he would. But oh well. It was a nice day and I got to drive to Matsudai instead of sitting at my desk or teaching a million classes.

Last night, I was cleaning my apartment when I realized it was already 9 and I hadn't eaten dinner. Nothing nearby was open so I broke into my 'creative cooking' mode, but I cooked the most questionable meal I've had in a while: I fried two packages of udon noodles in some soba sauce, with some soggy mushrooms and an expired egg. But, I ate.

My Aunt Susie asked me what American food I want at her house in Okinawa next week. I said "a BIG, JUICY CHEEEESEBURGER". I'm so excited.

2 Comments:

At 2:36 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

Wow... that dinner does sound questionable. I hope you enjoy your cheesburger... I didn't know you had relatives in Japan. Is that part of why you decided to go there?

As for that class, I have found that people never really take constructive criticism well. Even if they beg you for it, they often end up being deffensive. It's good that you told him what you thought anyways.

Happy cheesburger.

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Erik said...

hehe. thanks jodi. today, i had an impromptu quesadilla with weird japanese sauce on it. i eat strangely here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home