Wednesday, May 11, 2005

The omiyage dance

Today was a crisp and cold one, at Nakajo Junior High. I had to teach how to say family members and some other things to some 2nd years...MOTHER...FATHER...BABY...COUSIN, etc. Also, I began the tricky 'omiyage' ritual of giving out mandatory souvenirs since I took a day off from Nakajo last week to go south, and I 'inconvenienced' the office by being so cocky as to actually use my allotted vacation time (most Japanese workers don't use a lot of their vacation time). Problem is I miscalculated for the 80 or so teachers I work with at my three junior highs, and don't have enough snacks and postcards for everyone. So I'm having to sneak about and only give it only to those that are nice to me, or important (like the principal and the lunchlady), or excessively attractive, and skipping those who ignore me or who don't see me giving out the omiyage. In theory everyone is supposed to get one but...oops!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home