Monday, November 06, 2006

a week in bangkok

just back from my week in Bangkok. Originally I had just planned to go to for a break, get in some good eating and relaxation and visit a dentist (sounds sketchy but it's not).

The week ended up being absolutely incredible. The first time I went to Bangkok last year I spent time with some other JETs (Pam, Deccy, Yamagata Kristin) and it was fun, but we were just in transition down to the southern beaches. My attitude towards the city itself was not entirely positive; on the surface, Bangkok is just another huge city that stinks, screams at you and makes you feel like you've just smoked a pack of cigarettes from walking down the street. It has great temples and the cheap shopping and food is out-of-control, but if you are going somewhere like the beach the next day, you probably can't wait to go.

But this trip, I got to know Bangkok in a whole new light (no, not that kind of light. I stayed away from the ping pong banana shows and most everything else scandalous and eye-opening that the city is known for). I ended up falling in love with the city because I saw parts of the city that the normal tourist just never gets to. I spent the majority of my time in back markets selling food of every imaginable taste and color, the side streets and chopshops of Chinatown, and the waterway canals of old Bangkok where people still move and shop by long-tail boat. I ran into festivals with no other foreigners, and went to bars and restaurants that were the same. I ate street food that I would normally be afraid to touch. A big reason for all of this is that I quickly made friends who were locals...from just chance encounters in bars where the person wanted to show me around next day, to a guy just helping me read a map and then we end up in a taxi boat cruising the canals of the fruit plantations. As with anywhere, having a local show you around is the key to travelling right. But I just hadn't expected that on this trip so it was a nice surprise. I made a couple of Thai friends that I will keep in touch with.

Anyway, I'll probably be back there before all is said and done. More pics and stories to come.

9 Comments:

At 5:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! I should have gone with you, but then it probably would have been something totally different. Still don't know what to do about park city, maybe I should just GO?

 
At 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

erik, let's see pictures of your teeeeeeeeeeth! this is so exciting!

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger MartinMc said...

Yes, teeth!! We want to know if you can get hollywood style chompers in Thailand!

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Erik said...

ely dude of course you should have gone with me. it would have made the trip even better dopeface. you haven't figured it yet about utah? i'll call you.

yes, teeth. lopaka says i have a noticeably brighter smile. and i still have all 32! but i am NOT posting pictures of my dental work on my damn blog.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger kittykat said...

come on, we wanna look!! we're nosey.

Im glad you like Bangkok, ive always liked it! Most people say the same though, it's dirty and nasty. I think it's great.

Wanna see the teeth!

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Erik said...

ok the truth is that there was a big misunderstanding and all but 3 of my teeth were removed and painted electric blue. so, no pictures.

 
At 6:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erik I'm so glad you found locals while traveling! That's what I did in Singapore, too. It's the secret to good times!

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Erik said...

good god, hi Gina! Where are you? How are you? I want to go to Malaysia next. Tell me about it!

 
At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Madam Bangkok Hotels said...

I got into your blog when researching for what people thinking about Thailand. It's very useful information for my planing trip in Bangkok. Thank you so much...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home