Monday, January 23, 2006

birthday fun

I did a lot of relaxing trying to fight off a little cold...but basically my birthday was awesome. Martin's birthday is the 21st so we celebrated together like last year. Went to Tanto with Debs, Martin, Lopaka, Nate, Yuko, Kaori, Keiko, Katsu, and some Japanese teachers that Martin knows. We went to Tanto for food and beer and then off to Yamane, the only bar in town with a pool table. It was a great night and I feel happy that I've been able to fall into a group of friends that remind me that all though I miss my friends back home in a heartbreaking way, the people I've found here are a real blessing. They brought out the 'youngest child' birthday boy in me by lavishing me with fun and silly gifts, from sake and mickey mouse underwear and candles and fun cards to flying pirate games and snacks and foot massagers and a 3-piece grey geriatric pajama suit called "The Governor," complete with vest. I get it guys...I'm older than you. Har.


This afternoon I was particularly Japanese, spending hours at the onsen, sitting in a hot bath in the dumping snow, watching sumo in the lounge, eating noodles and drinking tea, and finishing Memoirs of a Geisha (I liked it). Then when I drove home my whole car and headlights got caked with frozen ice and snow, and I spun off the road and slammed into a huge icy snowbank, leaving a very cool carprint. Consider it a mechanical snow angel. So that was the most exciting part of my day, other than ordering an mp3 player with my xmas/birthday money - thanks everyone! (but it's not an iPod, I decided I'm anti-iPod and I got something much, much cooler).

Off to the city for the annual mid-year conference for two days tomorrow. Will get a hotel in the city with some other ALT's after a party at Shame. While I don't look always look forward to the conferences, I usually come away with something useful and it's nice to be in the city for a couple days.

But I think I'm ignoring the fact that my recontracting decision is due in a few days. I have no idea what to do.

6 Comments:

At 6:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - what does "my recontracting decision is due in a few days" mean? Are they going to kick your old man ass out of the country?

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

happy late birthday!

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Erik said...

thanks guys! hi anna. yah it just means that i have to decide if i'm going to do the job for one more year starting in august. i don't think i will but i dunno. blah.

 
At 1:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Erik, Happy Birthday!! Can't believe it's that time of year already... What's your decision about staying on?
Also cheers for the email and for carrying out my new years card delivery - much appreciated! Hope everything's good with you...

 
At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

 
At 1:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home