Saturday, July 19, 2008

Leaving Las Tokamachi

Sorry I haven't updated this thing. It seems that the more exciting and amazing experiences I have had in Japan, the more mundane they have become in a way. I think that's when you know it's time to try a new adventure...when even the crazy stuff becomes an everyday thing and it isn't appreciated as much as it should be.

Well the time has come and I'll be out of here in 3 days. I think part of the reason I haven't posted here in a while was being in a bit of a funk about finally leaving here and also my mind sort of left this place a little bit when I signed the papers to finish out my contract. But these last, long, tedious goodbyes have definitely reminded me the outstanding quality of the experience I've had here and the amazing nature of the people I've come to know. I will miss the kids the most as they are the most down to earth and I got along with them the best out of anyone in this country. So I will certainly be back here someday and the first people I will keep an eye out for are my students, even the crappy ones. I will miss them and I will miss this town and my friends. The term "second home" is overused sometimes but in this case it makes sense. It is the one place I've lived the longest continously outside of Chimayo and as different as I was, I was welcomed and absorbed into this community.

Starting Wednesay I'll go on a month long trip about Asia, hitting northern Thailand, a bit of Malaysia, and 2 weeks to see mom in Vietnam. If I can swing in a Hong Kong visit that would be cool too. I'll be back in Tokamachi for my 5th and final summer festival, then back in New Mexico around September 1. And after four years I've been thinking about all you friends and family I haven't seen and that I have been so terrible about keeping in touch with, now I really wanna spend some time with you. So put the beer in the fridge and keep a cold one for me. Preferably a Tecate, cut up some fresh lime. I'm coming home!

3 Comments:

At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks again for calling
it was really good time to see you here in japan.
have a nice trip, and see you soon

 
At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sapporo!

 
At 1:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so where are you now? Thailand? wish I was there...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home