Saturday, April 09, 2005

Heavy Metal Society


Last night was a night out, and after a nomihodai and meal at the Gourmet House with Debs, Martin, Neil, Keiko, Kozue and someone else, we played some darts then ended up at Lupin. I stayed on my own to talk to the locals and found myself sitting in on a meeting of the local chapter of the Tokamachi Heavy Metal Society. The guy on the left is Hiro, the president. To his left is Whiskey Man, the vice president. Hiro is a buddhist priest at one of the big temples in town. He calls himself Judas Priest. No joke.

4 Comments:

At 3:02 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

Oh my goodness. I think this is sooo hilarious. Judas Priest. That's the best. I even found myself telling Neil about it over lunch at our sushi place yesterday. Heh.

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Erik said...

Hey again Jodi! thanks for coming...I'll make a better habit of checking yours more often. Yah, he's crazy. I saw him once doing Judas Priest at karaoke. I thought he was going to jump through the walls. Hello to Neil! (if he remembers me. It's been ages).

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

of course Neil remembers you. I just told him, "Remember Erik, who got the half-rat snack at Newyears 2000?" and he said, "Yeah, of course!" :)

Wow, to see Judas Priest, the Buddhist Priest doing Judas Priest at karaoke would be awesome. :)

I love reading about your life in Japan. I am jealous and want to go teach English too! Do you know Japanese??

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Erik said...

He he, I totally forgot about the half rat snack. How did the Governor know Neil's name? From the news? I guess he is sort of a celebrity, huh...Well, I'm learning some Japanese and I continuously surprise myself with what I've learned in 8 months, but the learning curve on this dang language is still waaaaaay slower than what I'm used to. If I'd been immersed for 8 months in Mexico or something I'd probably be doing a lot better, etc. A lot of if has to do with the inability to read anything. Darn funny alphabets!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home