Sunday, April 17, 2005

hanami


Saturday night was the peak of hanami (sakura cherry blossom viewing) in Takada Park, which is in Joetsu, about an hour away. I met up with Debs, Aimee, Sally, Mel, and tons of other people like Kiwi Dave and Mississippi Mary. We sat in on a huge social group of Japanese people from the area and drank with them as well. Takada Park has some of the best blossom viewing in Japan and thousands and thousands of massive cherry trees in full bloom. Looking at trees sounded strange at first until you really get into the spirit...I had never seen so many Japanese people in one place, all happy and smiling (maybe 20,000 people). The cherry trees are awesome and they are planted specifically just so people can check out their blossoms for a couple weeks a year. They don't actually make cherry fruit, just blossoms. Everybody had fancy set ups on a tarp underneath a good tree, sort of like the tailgate parties at the opera...but this had sake, takoyaki octopus balls, noodles, etc. The whole idea of it is just to feel 'serene' and take in the new spring life.

4 Comments:

At 1:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey bro, cool to read about your life over there. It's Monday at work for me. Worked on building landscaping walls all weekend. Rita is finally healing pretty good after her big dog fight. Amelia has had problems with ear infections that we're trying to resolve, the antibiotics haven't completely cleared it up. Lots of rain around here and very green. My new old toyota truck is pretty cool, Japanese cars are the best.laterz vato

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

wow. that sounds awesome. I just learned recently that all of the cherry trees in Washington D.C. that people flock there to see are a gift from Japan. (not sure what the occasion for the gift was though.) Since Neil and I are moving to D.C. next Oct, I am now interested in all D.C. factoids. In any case, I now have it on my list of things to do during my life, that I need to go to Japan and look at the cherry blossoms in the spring. Thanks for inspiring me. :)

 
At 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey dude, i totally agree, the whole idea of hanami (watching flowers) seemed super gay, but once we were there it was obvious that it was just a great reason to get pissed up outdoors, and celebrate the fact we can sit outside now without getting burried upto our necks by snow. It rocked. Looking forward to doing it again nxt year!! so wat u bn up to this wk? gay that u cant come on fri to the play :( mayb dinner tomoro night? iv bn walking with mieko 2 days in a row now... ooo get me. not enjoying the 5:30am wake up call but do feel good for it :) and made it to school on time for the 1st time since iv ben here! wooo!
anyway enough garping on, love ya xx

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Erik said...

ha ha! sweet comments guys. Jake, long time no talk. How's Amelia's ears now? Jodi, you should come next spring...yah I heard about the DC trees. You are moving to DC? Crazy! My NM friend just did the same. Debs, you are a trollup. I saw Annie last night and she seems allright. Let's drinking Saturday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home