Friday, September 09, 2005

Mixed Music

My very intelligent and thoughtful New Mexican friend Jodi (with whom I've rekindled contact via the blog revolution) has got me thinking about mix CD's (formerly mix tapes) a lot... I used to spend summers after camp making the year's new tape and distributing them to friends, but that tradition has slowly faded. Here's her blog http://jodigwen.blogspot.com/

So, I've decided to at least get back into the process of creating mixes because they are so representative of an era and social or emotional state of being. Mixes are like diaries. Soon I'll start posting occasional songlists that represent what I'm listening to and going through at that point in time, or maybe occasional song lyrics that seem poignant at the moment.

As a side note, it also reminds me of a somewhat more morbid example of when my professor Nora Beck asked each student in a music literature class to create a mix tape that we would want played as a sort of musical eulogy. So, instead of someone speaking at your funeral about your life and the things they loved about you, simply pop in the tape and let that represent your life and personality and any message you want to convey to the people you left behind. Like I said, morbid, but it sure makes you think about what music is most important to you. What would you put into that songlist?

9 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, Blogger chase said...

mostly 80's stuff, eurocrap really..some classis rock, old school hip hop, otown...lol....pisses me off that i cant find any recent real good defining type music that i can feel defines me now.

love your blog, i envy you being there, something i would have liked to do in another lifetime. Still would like to see japan one day. i like their food, clothes, candy, customs...but i know its not the same as living there and actually being a part of it. good luck with it all and i'll check back from time to time.

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger chase said...

that was supposed to say Motown....having to learn to type all over sinc i got a laptop

 
At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ur mates blog is funny!!
when i first arrived here i decided that i would make a mix cd for all my girlfriends, of songs which reminded me of them, and our last 4 yrs together at uni, but alas, the year has flown by and ive not managed to even compile a playlist. Youve given me the kick up the ass i need, and tonight im going to make those cds!! CHEERS DUDE :) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

Erik!
Way to go spreading the mix tape fever. :)Thank for linking to my blog. :)

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger kittykat said...

SO TRUE!!!

I LOVE mix tapes, they totally represent a time, a place, a first time for doing certain things ;-)

Im re living my year abroad in Germany right now, listening to cheezy german RAP music, yah, rap in German. It's actually pretty good, and FUNNY, naturally, especially lil kim does a 'guest spot' and raps auf Deutch herself.

Other than that, re -living my life as a 14 yr sitting on a football pitch till the early hours with stolen bottles of wine and listening to EASY E is so cool right now.


Gimme that nut!!!

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Erik said...

Ha Ha! Easy E. That's my keitai email address you know...

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger kittykat said...

no way!

i WANT your keitai address

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger kittykat said...

no way!

i WANT your keitai address

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Erik said...

you mean to email me or to use it on your own phone? if you want it for your own phone you can't have it cuz then it would be Easy K and that just doesn't work. Maybe Special K is better....or Krazy K...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home